Providence is calling a HIM Deficiency Analysis Specialist (Per Diem) to Providence Health & Services in Burbank, CA.
We are seeking a HIM Deficiency Analysis Specialist to responsible for analyzing medical records for completeness and compliance in accordance with federal and state regulatory guidelines, Joint Commission standards, Medical Staff By-Laws/policies and procedures, and HIM department policies and procedures . This includes reviewing medical records for completeness and assigning deficiencies to appropriate clinical staff, monitoring deficiency analysis work queues and resolving related problems. The DA Specialist is a resource for continuum of care services to hospital staff, medical staff and patients. Responsibilities may include storefront coverage, patient calls, facilitating quick retrieval of specific requested documentation, preparing birth certificates, and transcription support.
In this position you will:
- Analyze medical records for completeness and compliance.
- Identify canceled encounters and notify appropriate HIM staff.
- Monitor work queues and perform problem resolution/corrective action where needed.
- Reassign dictation deficiencies that are marked as "complete" by the physician.
- Assist physicians in chart completion by clarifying the deficiency or explaining the chart completion process in Epic.
- Assign documentation deficiencies to the correct clinical staff.
- Collaborate and coordinate with nursing and clinical units to provide professional level support and services for the retrieval and handling of medical records.
- Research, respond to and log requests for patient health information, both routine and emergent.
- Confirm authorizations for release of information for requests as necessary.
- Provide reports to PHS departments as required by ministry.
- Respond to business office requests for information and copies of specified documents.
- Process Birth Certificates and filing of paternity affidavits in accordance with State and hospital guidelines.
- Transcription support.
- Handle equipment problems and call in service requests for equipment.
- Print/fax or photocopy appropriate records from legacy system and/or Epic hard copy.
- Ensure all computer system entries are completed accurately and timely.
- Utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills and strategies to achieve team objectives, goals and assignments.
- Assure, promote and maintain the confidentiality and integrity of all patient medical records.
- Serve as a super user in relevant systems.
- Closely adhere to set schedules and timecard procedures.
- Identify, resolve and escalate major issues and service failures that impede success. Maintain confidentiality of all patient demographic, medical, and financial information,
- ensuring proper handling and disposal of confidential documents and adherence to HIPAA.
- Comply with all applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and requirements as well as PH&S policies and procedures in all aspects of job performance.
- Promote PH&S as a premier service organization by treating customers with compassion and respect.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Demonstrated competence of medical terminology is required.
- A minimum of two (2) years' experience in health information is required. Experience in a hospital environment is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Joint Commission and Medical Staff requirements for medical record completion.
- Proven knowledge of medical records content.
- Demonstrated ability in solving with minimal supervision, problems dealing with physician record completion.
- Proven ability to focus on details and accurately analyze both inpatient and outpatient records for completion.
- Demonstrated ability to type on a keyboard at 30 WPM or better with less than 2% errors.
- Proven effective and respectful face-to-face, telephone and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated service excellence with patients, families, sponsors, caregivers and team members.
- Demonstrated ability to work with numbers quickly and accurately.
- Proven understanding of basic accounting techniques.
- Proven sound judgment and ability to work within delegated authorities.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriate resolve and escalate issues.
- Proven excellent attention to detail with a focus on quality.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment in a positive and professional manner.
- A track record in organizing and planning with demonstrated ability to effectively manage time and achieve results in a fast paced environment.
- Proven PC Proficiency in MS Windows and Office applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HIPAA rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to perform in alignment with company mission and values.
- Proven knowledge of general hospital operations.
- Valid driver's licence and completion of Driver's Skill Test as required by ministry.
Mission & Values :
- Actively supports and incorporates the mission and core values into daily activities. Treats all others with respect and demonstrates excellence, justice and compassion in daily work and relationships with others.
- Demonstrates competency by placing a high priority on service to everyone encountered.
- Anticipates and takes personal responsibility for customer satisfaction and service excellence.
- Consistently goes out of the way to listen, understand, and support the needs of others in a sensitive manner.
- Listens with sensitivity and openness.
- Actively seeks constructive feedback and remains open and receptive to it.
- Anticipates the information needs of others.
- Communicates effectively in all interactions.
- Demonstrates competency by maintaining positive, constructive interpersonal relationships, and by understanding and practicing the principles of effective teamwork.
- Works effectively with team members across functional and geographic regions.
- Takes responsibility to support team members in meeting project milestones and objectives.
- Demonstrates appreciation of team strength in meeting customers' needs and displays personal behavior that has a positive impact for the team.
- Protects confidential/private information related to patients/guarantors, members, employees, and others.
- Performs challenging tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Anticipates problems and takes corrective action prior to completing the task.
- Sets challenging objectives and works against self-defined standards of excellence to continually improve personal performance.
- Shows strong attention to detail and excellent analytical skills.
- Exhibits quality focus and active involvement in improvement of work processes.
- Employs learned methods for achieving improved outcomes.
- Exhibits achievement and learning orientation to work and organizational life by maintaining a broad outlook, demonstrating personal responsibility for keeping up with current information, expanding knowledge and skill, and ensuring contribution to organizational success.
- Displays ability to work in an ever-changing environment and participate constructively in change processes.
- Completes mandatory education review and competency program.
Attendance and Punctuality:
- Demonstrates performance by adhering to established policies and procedure and exhibiting the defined characteristics associated with attendance and punctuality.
Respect for Diversity:
- Demonstrates competency by knowing and applying the principles of an inclusive work environment.
Environment of Care/Infection Control/Safety:
- Consistently demonstrates and incorporates principles of safety and infection control into daily activities as outlined in Environment of Care, Infection Control, and Exposure Control manuals and department safety policies/procedures.
- Consistently uses personal protective equipment as required and takes appropriate precautions whenever there is potential for contact with blood, body fluids, chemicals and/or other hazardous materials.
- Maintains knowledge of work-appropriate aspects of environment of care programs complies with policies and reports unsafe conditions.
- Successfully completes Environment of Care HealthStream modules in the required timeframes and participates in fire drills and emergency exercises.
- If required, label, transport and store hazardous waste as described in annual training.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Some college level course work, particularly in health information technology is preferred.
About the department you will serve.
Providence Strategic and Management Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for all eight regions of Providence Health & Services from Alaska to California. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Health Information Management (HIM)
Req ID: 151000