Operating a hospital is more than IV bags and trauma rooms. One might be surprised by the number of people - and the hats they wear - who work behind the scenes to make sure a hospital runs smoothly and safely for our patients, visitors and staff. Each one plays a critical role and is part of a team to ensure the best care for our patients.
Banner Health is known nationally as a trailblazer in new health care models, where insurance plans and physicians come together to work collaboratively to make things easier for our members.
The Health Plan Senior Accountant position prepares complex accounting analyses and reconciliations to support general ledger input, and may lead specialized functions such as budgeting, reporting, or special accounting applications. Each Senior accountant is assigned to a specific health plan and will be required to understand specific guidelines and reporting criteria. The Health Plan Senior Accountant will be eligible to work from home.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner University Health Plans (BUHP) manage a variety of health plans. Our mission is to advance health and wellness through education, research and patient care. About Banner Health Banner Health is one of the largest, nonprofit health care systems in the country and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. Throughout our network of hospitals, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, physician practices and more, our skilled and compassionate professionals use the latest technology to make health care easier, so life can be better. The many locations, career opportunities, and benefits offered at Banner Health help to make the Banner Journey unique and fulfilling for every employee.
POSITION SUMMARY This position prepares complex accounting analyses and reconciliations to support general ledger input, and may lead specialized functions such as budgeting, reporting, or special accounting applications.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Computes and posts the most complex transactions into the financial systems. Prepares complex financial reconciliations and analyses, and acts as a technical resource and liaison to facility finance, department managers, and coworkers on system and financial issues.
2. Researches and corrects errors in the general ledger.
3. Interfaces with management including department leaders to assist with financial data gathering, disseminating, and/or interpretation in order to ensure accuracy of financial information.
4. Provides financial modeling resources to special projects assigned to the department by management for analysis and educates users of the assigned financial reporting system in the preparation and use of reports.
5. Prepares timely and accurate reports and presentations for state and federal agencies, management, and auditors to satisfy mandated reporting requirements policy, law or management needs. Maintains accurate statistical, contractual or other financial databases, as assigned.
6. May serve as Cost Center/Program CFO (as assigned), which includes initiating and assisting in identification and implementation of operating improvements and efficiencies and assisting department managers with budgeting and financial report interpretation.
7. May lead the budget process for a facility, which includes preparation & distribution of budget materials, training facility managers, monitoring progress to ensure timely completion, and summarizing budget status at periodic check points.
8. The primary challenge is to provide management with accurate and timely information necessary to effectively manage operations. Heavy reliance upon computer systems by this position necessitates that the incumbent spend time ensuring the integrity of statistical files and data bases. This position is expected to keep abreast of recent developments in the Financial Accounting and computer fields. Has freedom to determine how to best accomplish functions with minimal supervision. Internal customers include other department management. External customers including but not limited to regulatory agencies ensuring accuracy and timeliness of information.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES DIRECTLY REPORTING None MATRIX OR INDIRECT REPORTING None TYPE OF SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES N/A
Banner Health Leadership will strive to uphold the mission, values, and purpose of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered, service excellence-focused, and results-oriented manner.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS OE - Typical Office Environment: (Accountant, Administrative Assistant, Consultant, Program Manager) Requires extensive sitting with periodic standing and walking. May be required to lift up to 20 pounds. Requires significant use of personal computer, phone and general office equipment. Needs adequate visual acuity, ability to grasp and handle objects. Needs ability to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone. May require off-site travel
Requires Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or equivalent.
Requires proficiency level typically attained with 3-5 years in health care finance including demonstrated abilities in the areas of financial statement preparation and analysis.
Strong analytical, statistical, and modeling skills are essential. The incumbent must be knowledgeable in computer applications and office desktop software. Must be able to work with minimal supervision and prioritize multiple projects and use sophisticated software programs. Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills are required.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
DATE APPROVED 05/19/2019
Internal Number: R6052
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.