Operating a hospital is more than IV bags and trauma rooms. One might be surprised by the number of people - and the hats they wear - who work behind the scenes to make sure a hospital runs smoothly and safely for our patients, visitors and staff. Each one plays a critical role and is part of a team to ensure the best care for our patients.
This position provides highly skilled support via liaison representation to committees, medical staff departments, physicians, and other hospital personnel under moderate supervision.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Experience innovative technology and exceptional opportunities for growth and development at Banner Health's state-of-the-art hospital Banner Gateway Medical Center. With comprehensive electronic medical records, physician order entry, digital radiography and proprietary advanced patient monitoring, Banner Gateway provides you with the innovative resources you need to provide your patients with the best care possible. Our commitment to nursing excellence has enabled us to achieve Magnet(tm) recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Located near Phoenix in Gilbert, Ariz., Banner Gateway Medical Center offers 176 private rooms, eight operating suites, a 37-bed emergency department and shares a campus with the Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center. Key specialties include oncology, obstetrics, bariatric surgery, emergency and other services that focus on meeting the changing needs of the dynamic and growing community we serve. About Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center Located in Gilbert, Ariz. (the Phoenix Metro area) on the Banner Gateway Campus, the center provides world-class care for oncology patients - both inpatient and outpatient - and has also brought leading oncology programs to the Banner Gateway campus including Stem Cell Transplantation and comprehensive Head & Neck cancer care. Our capabilities include five linear accelerator vaults, a brachytherapy vault, an advanced diagnostic imaging suite with PET/CT scan, more than 50 infusion bays, a cryopreservation lab and much more. Our inpatient medical oncology unit also incorporates a program that utilizes the electronic surveillance partnership in caring for the patient, where remote nurses have the ability to interact with patients via two way audio-video to assist the bedside nurse with patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides highly skilled support via liaison representation to committees, medical staff departments, physicians, and other hospital personnel under moderate supervision.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Coordinates all aspects of assigned medical staff committees including compiling agenda material, accurately documenting minutes, compiling follow-up memos and letters, researching and preparing information for chairs, and providing professional assistance to various chairmen regarding privileging, credentialing, reappointment, and medical staff rules and regulations as outlined in the medical staff bylaws.
2. In consultation with the director, provides administrative support for hearing committees. Serves as a resource for medical staff members regarding medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations, hospital and medical staff policies, regulatory requirements and parliamentary procedure. Assists in drafting correspondence ensuring compliance with established bylaws, rules and regulations. May coordinate GME and/or CME functions and processes.
3. Under direction, liaises between medical staff and administration, communicating sensitive and confidential issues including peer review. Interacts directly with a variety of internal and external customers. Uses judgment and discretion to maintain peer review protection to hospital and medical staff.
4. Understands and maintains an accurate, secure and updated database of physician and allied health information to query on basic demographic profiles including but not limited to staff privileges and status for other hospital departments and facilities requiring this information. Uses various internal databases to gather and analyze physician and allied health data used in the reappointment, peer review and quality improvement processes of the medical staff and board of directors.
5. Coordinates processing of all aspects of physician and allied health credentialing and reappointment processes within appropriate timeframes ensuring the quality of the practitioners providing patient care. Assures the completeness and accurateness of the credentialing process. Requests additional information from external medical if necessary. May obtain and log expired credentials on a monthly basis according to rules and policies. Monitors the progress of physicians through the supervision period, assisting department chairs with the appropriate procedures, forms and time limits.
6. Collects and compiles data for physician and allied health quality profiles to analyze practice patterns using data to determine performance. This includes working with senior staff, department chairmen, quality staff, and other hospital staff to identify sources of data and methods of presenting and analyzing data.
7. Manages the preparation, distribution and maintenance of the physician emergency department call schedules.
8. Requires high degree of confidentiality and critical decision making. Requires moderate direction and guidance. Has complex relationships with members of the administrative staff of the hospital, members of the medical and affiliated staff, medical staff officers, medical staff department chairs, section chiefs, physician and other professional applicants, attorneys, medical staff professionals at other facilities, state licensing bodies, other departmental personnel and patients. All require courtesy, tact, patience, cooperation and confidentiality.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
Must possess strong knowledge of medical office administration as normally obtained through 1-2 years experience in a healthcare, paralegal, managed care or credentialing. Requires knowledge of medical terminology and professional physician interface. Requires experience interacting with physicians in highly sensitive situations. Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills. Requires astute judgment in human relations skills to interface and communicate in an articulate manner with medical staff, administrators, legal counsel and hospital personnel. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Requires the ability to work with common office software and equipment.
Two years of college education is preferred. National Certification as a Medical Staff Services Professional is preferred. Knowledge of medical staff computer software programs is desirable.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R10766
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.