As a leader within Patient Balance Management you will have a direct impact on executing Banner's strategy of "Perfecting the Customer Experience" The Director position within Patient Balance Management will oversee operations critical to the patient experience, and will have the opportunity to implement new processes and technologies. It is the perfect position for a leader looking to have a substantial impact on Sofia's experience.
Patient Balance Management oversees balance resolution operations for our customers. Our mission is to simplify the patient financial experience by providing our customers with access to the tools and information necessary to resolve their balance with Banner. Patient Balance Management's scope includes statements, patient financing, customer service, digital/online services, and dispute resolution. We coordinate with Patient Financial Services, Patient Access, and vendors to provide the best experience for our customers.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position directs the operations and performance of multiple billing units and is responsible for providing the appropriate and timely resolution of account receivables, ensuring a positive cash flow and a high degree of customer satisfaction, and for attaining the company goals of the timely and complete collection of receivables, cash, subrogation, healthcare liens, and all other accounts referred to the legal department, as well as for creating Bad Debt Write Offs within guidelines and goal levels.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Directs staff and the operations of the collection and adjudication process of multiple billing and claims units and ensures that billing, collection, claims and accounting activities are conducted in a manner such that ensures positive cash flow, maintains the age of accounts receivables at or below the target level, and that all third party claims are executed appropriately. This position must project a positive and professional image to third party payers, the hospital providers, patients and contract management while maximizing cash flow.
2. Reviews adjustments and controlled write-offs. Works effectively with facilities staff other payor units to find solutions and improve processes to minimize bad debt.
3. Directs and oversees personnel actions including recruiting, new hire actions, interviewing and selection of new staff, staff reviews, and salary determinations for management and staff. Develops goals and performance expectations for staff. Provides effective leadership and promotes teamwork within the department, facilities and outside agencies.
4. Maintains a current knowledge of all contractual and regulatory requirements. Ensures that company fiscal policies and procedures, contractual requirements, and accepted accounting principles and practices are followed in patient and third party billing and claims.
5. Closely monitors activity results in billing unit to ensure timely and accurate resolution of problems identified by payers, patients, other PFS units and hospitals. Independently and through the efforts of staff, maintains ongoing positive communications with all parties to provide information and resolve issues.
6. Conducts ongoing analysis of the department and employee productivity using available statistical indicators; uses analysis results to detect developmental opportunities. Develops and updates processes and procedures as appropriate. Achieves designated production and quality goals for the unit, and maintains expenses within budgetary guidelines for the assigned unit(s).
7. Provides opportunities for strategic departmental improvements and communicates suggestions to the appropriate supervisory and management staff within System Patient Financial Services and other various departments at the facilities and the System Center.
8. Directs this billing and claims function for all company hospital facilities in three states. Manages Annual billings of $450M to $600M. Budgets and controls operational expenses for multiple cost centers. Manages receivables under the full scope of all payor Contractual Arrangements for insurers, Managed Care Payers, a variety of Medicaid plans, and Medicare.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager.
This position requires a level of expertise in Accounting principals normally demonstrated by an advanced education Degree in Accounting.
Requires extensive knowledge and understanding of provider contracts and billing processes normally acquired with seven (7) or more years related work in managing the collection and processing of health care receivables. Requires demonstrated skills in management of similar billing operations. A thorough knowledge of third-party billing requirements, reimbursement principles, collection laws and managed care and contract payor implications are essential. Familiarity with receivable-related accounting principles, patient accounting system capabilities, and the ability to analyze statistic data is required.
Must have a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships with third-party payors as well as possess exceptional written and verbal communications skills and excellent human and public relations skills. A proficiency in problem resolution and training techniques is necessary. Requires the ability to work effectively with common office software and to effectively use the patient billing software and database.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R11478
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.