JOB SUMMARY: Upon graduation from a medical assistant program, assists provider in performing office examinations and procedures. Organizes and managers clinic patient flow. Gathers/documents patient screening data. Performs in-office diagnostic testing (e.g., Xray's, EKGs). Assists with patient and family education. Cleans rooms and instruments. Orders and distributes supplies. Schedule's appointments and testing, triages phone calls and emails, handles physician correspondence, and manages insurance referrals. The Medical Assistant's position requires a highly organized individual who can safely manage more than one task at a time, move swiftly throughout the varied responsibilities, and work and interact as part of a team. The Medical Assistant is under the direct supervision of the Provider/Office Manager.
1. Customer Servicea) Uses current technology to pull patients expeditiously from waiting rooms to exam areas. b) Proactively communicates delays to patients. Regulates patient flow/check-in as per protocol. Assists and covers the front desk and phones as needed.c) Demonstrates professional behavior in all setting visible to patients and visitors.d) Proactively identifies patient/visitor needs and takes steps to assist.
2. Planning and Managing Carea) Gathers screening and other data for the health care team.b) Demonstrates individual and team accountability by meeting basic patient/family needs: o Accompanies patients/families to exam rooms o Prepares patient for examination o Performs diagnostic testing (e.g., spirometry).c) Works with MD/provider to maintain efficient, effective clinic flow; checks schedules and organizes patient flow. Assist in patient call-backs and call-in prescriptions under direction of the physiciansd) Assists MD/provider with routine office procedure o Pulls patient charts for labs, x-ray reports, consultation letters and other clinical informationo Assesses reason for visit along with documenting height, weight, temperature, and vital signse) Fulfills clerical responsibilitieso Maintains patient charts and other care documentso Prepares diagnostic testing requisitionso Sends/receives and accurately routes referral and precertification informationo Schedule's
3. Patient/Family Education* Distributes patient family education material as directed by clinical staff* Facilitates identification of resources to meet patient healthcare needs
4. Continuous Learning* Participates in staff meetings.* Develops and achieves personal and professional goals.* Contributes to the achievement of VIP goals.* Participates in the quality improvement through data collection and documentation.
5. Communication and Collaboration* Communicates and collaborates effectively with all members of the health care team.* Coordinate's patient care as directed by the MD/provider* Uses EHR effectively.* Personal behavior positively influences environment.* Receives feedback in a respectful and positive manner
6. Triages patient/family calls; responds to phone/email patient messages. Responds to patient questions/concerns/problems. Refers to immediate supervisor, clinic staff or provider
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.