Location: Suffern, New York
The Psych Tech (Technician) assists in providing behavioral nursing care to patients hospitalized for psychiatric and/or substance abuse treatment. This position participates in the planning and implementation process for the multidisciplinary treatment team including physical care of patients as directed by registered nurse(s) and management of patients' behavioral expressions of substance abuse or psychopathology.
- Provides patient care to adult age groups for substance abuse services.
- Demonstrates the capacity to observe and assess patients for verbal and non-verbal indicators of mental status, monitor potential risk, and intervene with appropriate individual and team action.
- Assists nurse with taking vital signs of patients.
- Participates in infection control processes designed to reduce transmission of infection.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and safe use of equipment related to assigned jobs, duties, and responsibilities.
- Performs job duties in a manner that reduces risk and maintains a work environment free from hazards.
- Maintains competency in CPR and CPM.
- Demonstrates knowledge of essential computer skills related to the job while maintaining confidentiality, security and integrity of data.
- Demonstrates mission and values with patients, families, peers, and other members of the healthcare team.
- Protects patient rights to confidentiality through written, oral and electronic communication.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Two (2) years experience in a health care setting with one year in mental health preferred (college experience may be substituted).
Knowledge and understanding of mental illness including treatment modalities and sub-professional nursing techniques.
High School Diploma or GED, required
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area's leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children's Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.